HELP WANTED: Market Staff Positions Available
We are looking for hard working, entrepreneurial individuals who can perform market day duties, and who may also be interested in other in-office projects like fundraising, kids activities, bookkeeping and social media. Market day positions range from entry-level Market Assistant positions, Assistant Managers with progressively more responsibility, to Market Managers.
Shifts are Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, May-October, and potentially year round.
The Market Assistant helps the Market Managers with:
- Set-up and take down of markets (tents, road closed barricades and signs)
- Special events (produce tastings, kids’ activities)
- Vendor compliance (health department checks, rules enforcement, etc.)
- Customer service including selling merchandise, helping the public locate products and vendors, assisting EBT clients with card transaction and Fresh Bucks distribution (food access programs).
- Social Media updates from the market
Market Assistant Attributes:
- A food and farm enthusiasts
- Able to lift and move up to 60lbs using proper technique (street barricades and tent weights)
- Able to be outside on your feet in all types of weather (market operations require walking the site repeatedly and can total a few miles per shift)
- Like working with the public and delivering outstanding customer service
- Demonstrated skill in working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Understanding of and support for our mission
- Timely with a reliable mode of transportation
- Have experience in retail, events, or working on farms.
Job Expectations: the Market Manager/Assistant Manager will:
- Set up and tear down equipment / street closures, and ensure that market operations run smoothly throughout each market day.
- Have a thorough understanding of the NFM’s overarching mission and be able to apply that understanding effectively and consistently within the work environment.
- Provide the highest level of customer service to shoppers, vendors and community partners.
- Serve as a sales agent: promote the NFM (sell merch, explain mission)
- Enforce market policies and check that vendors are complying with the laws and regulations of relevant agencies such as the WSDA, King County Health Department, as well as NFM policies.
Market Manager will:
- Oversee Market Assistants and deliver constructive and timely feedback as needed.
- Office work: preparing markets (vendor roster, layout, problem-solving), attend staff meetings, and assist with market-related projects.
- Track vendor sales, market performance, and other benchmarks for market performance.
- Represent the NFM at the markets and in their surrounding communities.
For full job descriptions, or to apply, send resume and coverletter to julian (a) seattlefarmersmarkets.org
Vendor Job Openings:
The following farmers and food vendors are currently looking for booth sales help at markets, or help on the farm. Please contact them directly for more information.
Posted April 24: Half Pint Homemade Ice Cream is seeking market sales help for 2017.
Posted March 30: Golden Glen Creamery is seeking sales rep, call (360) 766-6455
Posted March 24: Sena Seafood is seeking market sales help for 2017.
If you are a farmer or food processor interested in selling in our markets, please read the information on our Vendors pages.